Art and Design
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination
Curriculum Statement – Art and Design
At Hollywood we intend to inspire our pupils to acquire knowledge, as an artist, and enable them to skilfully attempt and apply their understanding.
We aim to give children a wide variety of high-quality art experiences, using a variety of media for drawing, painting, printing, collage and sculpture that engage and challenge our pupils.
We hope for all children to be enthusiastic, motivated and enjoy the creative process, and to develop self confidence in their own artistic talents and opinions.
We inform our Art and Design lessons with the CUSP (Curriculum Unity Schools Partnership) Art curriculum. This is organised into blocks with each block covering a particular set of artistic disciplines, including drawing, painting, printmaking, textiles, 3D and collage. Vertical progression has been deliberately woven into the fabric of the curriculum so that pupils can revisit key disciplines throughout their Primary journey at increasing degrees of challenge and complexity.
Children study art in curriculum time blocks, with additional Art mornings to enable them to be fully immersed in the subject over a day, week or fortnight. They are also able to retrieve subject knowledge from art, and other subjects, during the course of a year in planned revisit sessions.
In addition to the core knowledge required to be successful within each discipline, children focus on Working Artistically and develop different aspects of these skills.
We believe it is important for children to have opportunity to appreciate the art of others, learn about art history (in particular linked to our locality) and be able to experiment and refine their skills.. Artists and styles and cultures from around the world are studied. Our art lessons are incorporated across the curriculum, making learning fun and accessible for all pupils. Children will know how Art & Design both reflect and shape our history and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
We also aim to give children experience to learn from artists, with visits, talks or collaborative projects.
When children leave Hollywood Primary School, they will:
- Be positive learners within Art & Design and show resilience in responding to challenges they face.
- Have a wide range of Art and Design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line shape, form and space, experimenting with and refining their use of different materials.
- Be proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques, producing creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Have acquired and refined the key skills of commenting, adapting, evaluating, exploring, collecting and responding and be articulate with technical vocabulary associated with art.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and Designers, and understand the historical and cultural development in their art forms.
We measure the impact of our Art Curriculum by
- Discussing work with pupils
- Teachers assessments of children’s work on a continual basis through discussion and questioning, work completed and products made.
- Children’s self-evaluation as a form of self-assessment.